Cats make lovely pets. They are sweet and cuddly. They also are playful. So, if you are thinking of something to help you feel calm and relax, get a pet cat. But you must be open to the fact that though they help you with your mental and emotional health, they cannot be with you on your whole life because they have a shorter lifespan than humans. So, how long do cats live as pets?
The Types of Cats
Cats live base on their lifestyle, nutrition, and maintenance of veterinary medicines such as vaccines and therapies. The life expectancy of the cats may depend on whether they are indoor or outdoor cats.
Indoor cats are more likely to have a longer life span. So, how long do cats live as pets? On average, indoor cats live for 12 to 18 years. And some could live up to 20 years. This is due to the fact that indoor cats are safer. They are away from the stress of the outside world. When outside, they can meet other cats that are cruel and fond of fighting with other cats. Also, they are prone to accidents when they are outside.
Though keeping cats indoor gives you peace of mind that they are safer inside, it is also important that you look after their health too. Consider giving them a healthy diet and allow them to exercise. When you let them eat all day, they are more likely to get overweight, which may lead to a more serious illness. So, makes sure you control their intake and limit it to healthy food. Let them also exercise as well. Give them toys that they could play with. Encourage them to run around, or you can also play with them.
Outdoor cats’ life span is shorter than indoor cats. Cats who stay outdoor are more likely to be exposed to parasites like ticks and fleas, which will cause illnesses. They may also get into catfights and accidents that injure them seriously.
The good thing, though, about outdoor cats, is they get to exercise. They can run all they want and learn to socialize with other cats and people, but train them to come home at mealtime, so they won’t eat unhealthy food. Also, most accidents and unexpected circumstances happen at night, so make sure to keep them indoor when it gets dark. However, when they get the taste of the freedom outside, it will be hard to convince them to stay long inside the house. To encourage them to stay more in a safe place, you can create a little house for them with a pillow that helps them to sleep comfortably. Put food at a specific time of the day, so they’ll get used to it and come home during that time set.
So, how long do cats live as pets? Regardless of whether your cat is an indoor or outdoor cat, it is important that you let them see the veterinarian regularly. This is to ensure their health is monitored. They need to be physically and emotionally healthy to ensure they will live longer as pets.
Keeping Indoor Cats Happy
How long do cats live as pets? Happiness is a calming factor not only to humans but also to cats. Indoor doesn’t know what it means to live life to the fullest since they do not experience the joy of running around. So, here are some ways to keep your indoor cats happy.
- Put toys on their corner. Just like kids, cats love to play with toys. Give them toys that they can play alone, toys for interactive play, and toys for chasing. You can also make use of these toys when you play with them.
- Artificial tree or pole for mounting. We have to understand that cats love to climb, so never let them miss the experience. A nice pole that is wrapped with rope for easy climbing can be enough. Allow them to climb up and look down.
- Provide space for outside viewing. Pick a part of your house or window space that allows them to see the outside. You can also create a visual stimulation like a tree branch or a bird feeder to invite birds to come to the window. But make sure the site you choose doesn’t have the view of cats playing joyfully, or this may frustrate them, instead of making them happy. It should be something that helps them see other things like trees or sky.
- Spend time with them. Cats are naturally time-seeking. So, when you give them your time, it will make them happy. Playing, grooming, or hanging out with them can be considered a good time for them. This will also make them feel loved.
Keeping Outdoor Cats Safe
While outdoor cats have the right amount of exercise because they can run around and play with other cats, you need to also ensure that they are safe. Here are a few tips for keeping your outdoor cats safe.
- Make them come inside at night. The night is the time when predators are on the loose, so always keep them indoors at night. But when cats are outside, it hard to convince them to get in. Lure them to come home by giving them treats. It will also help if you be consistent with time when you want to get them home.
- Ensure they are vaccinated. When cats are outside, they are at risk of catching cat illnesses or getting fleas and thicks. A regular dose of vaccine can protect them against parasites and common cat diseases. Bring them to the vet clinic often to ensure they get the medical attention they need.
Generally, the factor of how long do cats live as pets is not only dependent on the breed and the type of lifestyle they have. The care and love you give them is another thing. Let them feel they are cared for and loved. Spending time with them, playing with them, and let them go with you sometimes also contribute to their long lives. Get more tips on cats.