If you have a cat or a dog at home, then you are living a good life. These four-legged pets keep us company; they are loyal and are fun to be around. But everything cannot be all fun under the sun, especially if you keep them indoors. Accidents are bound to happen; that is why, in this article, we will discuss how to remove pet urine from carpet and other fabrics around the house. A pet’s urine can leave a nasty stench and can also stain. A pet can be tamed well enough to poop and piss in a specific area, but accidents are surely unavoidable.
If you have a pet at home, especially a male dog, then you should know this by now, they feel the need to urinate everywhere! Even the most well-trained male dog cannot resist the temptation of marking his territory around the house. When they urinate in carpets and furniture, the stench is unbearable and hard to remove. In this article, we will discuss the necessary things to do to remove the stain and odor, also the measure required to prevent this from happening. Let’s get started.
There are a lot of options to choose from when picking a cleaning solution for pet urine. Some of the cleaning solutions even have the specific labels on them, like cat urine remover, or dog urine stain remover. These solutions will be available in your local pet shop or veterinarian clinics. You can even opt to buy these online, which I know will provide you a lot of different options.
Cleaning solutions to know how to remove pet urine from carpet are as follows:
Soap and Water
Soap and water is the primary cleaning solution for removing any stain and odor. Soap also does an excellent job of getting rid of bacteria that promote odor.
Clothing detergent works very well with fabric. Since carpets are made of textile, clothing detergent is an excellent remedy for getting rid of odors and stains in carpets. It works best as the first line of treatment for your carpet when pets urinate on them.
Chemical solutions are available around the house, especially for cleaning. You should choose non-toxic, chemical solutions if you use chemicals to clean your carpet. Also, read the instructions of the chemicals you use, make sure they are fabric-safe.
Natural Cleaning Solution
Different natural remedies can counter odor and stain. There are even mixtures specifically designed to get rid of odor and stain from pet urine. These concoctions can be whipped up using available ingredients found in the kitchen and household.
How to Remove Pet Urine From Carpet – Step by Step Procedure
Cleaning solutions also come in different mixtures to cater to different carpet types. The following are general guidelines on how to remove pet urine from the carpet without taking into consideration what kind of carpet you have. We will go through these general guidelines step-by-step:
- For newer stains, soak up as much urine as possible using a combination of newspapers and paper towels. When the paper towel or newspaper is soaking wet, discard of this immediately. Repeat the process several times until the carpet is barely damped. The more fresh urine you can remove from a carpet, the less likely it will stain and stink after cleaning.
- If possible, let your pet see you clean the urine. You do not have to be angry, but you can talk to them, and acknowledge that this is bad behavior. You can take it a step further by discarding some of the soaked newspaper in the spot where you have designated them to urinate. Having them watch will provide them a visual example and train their nose in the right place to pee.
- You can then rinse the area thoroughly with clean water. An additional tip when performing this task is to elevate the carpet. Elevation will allow the water to pass through and down, and this will avoid contaminating unaffected areas on the mat.
- Dry the carpet thoroughly by blotting. You can also use a vacuum, but make sure your vacuum works well when exposed to liquids.
- Once the area is dry, you can now add your cleaning solutions. If the carpet was exposed to enzymatic cleaners before, try using non-protein based substances. These solutions will remove and weaken the effects of the old enzymatic cleaner. After taking these steps, proceed with applying the cleaning solution of your choice. The best ones are usually those that are made to combat the stains and odor of urine from pets, and using those solutions is how to remove pet urine from carpet the best possible way.
- Once the area is clean, you should leave it to dry. One way to dry your carpet is by taking outside in the sunlight. The heat from sunlight is not only best for drying, but it also eliminates other harmful pathogens in the carpet.
- After your carpet is dry, you should use a high-quality odor neutralizer. There are odor neutralizers for sale that are specific to pet waste. When using these chemicals, it is always a good practice to read the instructions carefully.
Now that you know how to remove pet urine from carpet and fabric, you can share this information with friends and family who have dogs. Male dogs are the main culprit when it comes to urinating around the household because they are wired to mark their territory. Don’t get too mad at them because it is not entirely their fault; that’s just their nature. You can tell that dogs feel bad when they urinate accidentally in the house by their facial expression and expression of anxiety.
I hope this article has added more to your pet care knowledge. Remember to perform the guidelines in this article when removing pet urine from the carpet and fabrics. Take your time while performing the task so you can focus on the crucial aspects. Always use non-toxic chemical solutions to make a safer environment around the house. Get more tips on pet hygiene.