You can quickly tell if a man and a dog have a strong relationship and bond. You can see how they care for their dogs. They play with them. They bring them to the veterinary clinic when they are sick. The saddest part of having a dog is when they get lost. Losing a pet is one of the scariest experiences. If your dog is missing, you have to stay calm and take action immediately. Knowing how to track a dog is very important in every situation.
Different Ways to Track Your Dog
Aside from staying calm and taking immediate action, there are other ways to track a dog. You can also do the following steps to track your dog:
- Immediately search your local area thoroughly
- Put up flyers and report your lost pet
- Check and follow up with the vets and local shelters every day
If the above methods did not work, or if your dog is still missing, try the following:
Track Your Dog Using a Microchip
If you have no idea how to track a dog, yes, you heard it right. Some dog owners put a microchip on their dogs. You can also do that to your dog. In case your dogs are missing, you can easily track them! Remember to follow all steps to complete your registration by putting a microchip in your dog. To track your lost dog with a microchip, do the following:
- Visit the microchip company’s website and enter your dog’s serial number.
- Call the vet that injected the chip if you need more information.
- Ask the vets, shelters, and animal rescue centers if they have scanned any pet with details matching your dog.
Once your lost dog was found and taken to a vet or a shelter, one of the first things to do is scan your dog’s microchip. After scanning, your dog’s location will reflect in the microchipping database. It provides details about the pet and its owner. The person who found your dog will contact you.
Track Your Dog Using External GPS Tracker
In this Tech-Era, we can now put a GPS tracker for our dogs. Yes, you can monitor and track your pet’s more closely using an external GPS tracker. A GPS tracker is a small device that is attached to the collar of your dog. It can give you a real-time location of your dog. You can get the coordinates of your dog’s location anytime using your smartphone app.
A good GPS tracker has a Geo-fencing that will alert you if your pet goes beyond a pre-assigned safe zone. Most GPS tracker devices require an activated SIM, batteries, and subscription fees. It may be costly, but it would help track your lost dog.
Tracking Your Dog Using a Sniffer Dog
Sniffer dogs are indeed helpful for most pet owners who find their missing dogs. Professional pet defectives typically employ sniffer dogs to follow the scent of your missing dogs. It is cheaper when you call for professional help.
How to Keep Your Dogs from Thieves
After knowing the different methods on how to track a dog, you should now learn other things that a dog owner should know.
There are times that we thought our dog was missing, but unfortunately, they got stolen. Now, here are the tips to keep your dogs from thieves:
- Make sure your backyard is secure, and your gate is not only closed but also locked.
- While you are away from home, never leave your dog outside.
- Do not let your pet roam free around your neighborhood.
- Make sure you don’t let your dog tied up outside your backyard.
- Make sure that your dog is wearing a collar with an updated ID tag.
- Put “Reward for Return” with your contact information or address.
- Always keep recent photos of your dog.
Losing a dog is one of the saddest parts of being a dog lover, but now you know how to track a dog. Either you lose them, or someone took them away from you, it can help you look for your dog. We can’t deny that a dog and a man have a strong connection, that is why a dog is always considered man’s best friend. Find out more about pet trackers.